What is a leprechaun trap? Well, it is an Irish folklore tradition for children to create and set out a trap the night before St. Patty’s Day to catch a leprechaun. If you get lucky enough to trap one, they might just leave behind a little magic!
There are so many creative and innovative ways to design leprechaun traps, and it is a great STEM activity for kids. It is best to let your kids use their imagination, but to help get you started we have listed a few basics of a perfect leprechaun trap.
- Appearance – Your trap has to be pretty to catch the eye of a leprechaun.
- Bait – Use something to lure the little leprechaun towards the trap (think Lucky Charms, Skittles, etc.).
- Ladder – Involve a way for the leprechaun to climb into the trap (popsicle sticks, Legos, pipe cleaners, etc.).
- Trap – Include a way to actually catch the leprechaun (a cup, a shoebox, etc.).
To encourage critical thinking, ask your kids these questions:
- Are there any holes for your leprechaun to escape through?
- Is it big enough to fit your leprechaun?
- How are you going to make sure your leprechaun does not escape?
Just try to have fun with it! If you want extra inspiration, check out Planning Playtime for lots of great ideas. Happy St. Patty’s Day, and good luck with your leprechaun!