As we make our way through winter, sometimes finding inspiration to cook new, healthy items is hard! If this is the case for you, Taste.com is one website that hosts a bunch of different recipes for you to try out.
Below is a simple but filling Mexican fried rice recipe from Taste.com that is perfect to warm you up during these cool months. To save more time (and money), simply buy rice, canned goods, avocado and other vegetables, and season with a pre-made Mexican rice seasoning mix. For more protein, feel free to add seasoned chicken or steak (any kind of fajita seasoning will do). To make this dish vegan, remove the feta.
Serving size: two
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) brown rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- 1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 can corn kernels, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 100 grams grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small avocado, quartered and sliced
- 60 grams feta, crumbled
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling water for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain well, then spread onto a large tray and place into the fridge, uncovered, for at least one hour.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the yellow onion and chili pepper, and cook for five minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and chili powder. Continue to cook and stir for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for two minutes until lightly fried and well combined with the onion mixture. Add the beans and corn and continue cooking, stirring often, until heated through. Pour lime juice over and toss to combine.
- Combine the tomatoes and red onion and season to taste. Divide the rice mixture among serving bowls and top with the tomato mixture, avocado, feta, coriander and lime wedges.